Monday, July 28, 2008

Defining Technical Communication

“Well, somebody has to do that job!” is the common response I often receive after explaining, to the best of my ability, the profession I have chosen—Technical Communication. The reaction often leaves me wondering if I am successful in attempting to give explanation to the field. Over time, I think I stopped trying to define it altogether. How can a person identify each and every point of correlation where technology meets the written word?

Defining technical communication is difficult because a single definition cannot take into account all of the aspects that define the profession. By trying to define it, we limit it. For the purposes of study, however, we need definitions, even reductive ones. People outside of the profession need clarification about what technical communicators do if for no other reason then to provide the foundation for professional standing in their discipline.

I have heard that “the future is bright” for technical communicators. New technologies are continually being developed and there will always be a need for someone to explain them. Unfortunately, when people attempt to define the skills of technical writers, they often ask, “What software do you know?” Of course this is a result of technical writing taking advantage of the latest technologies, however, it does not take into account writing techniques, audience analysis, design, or even usability testing. Keeping this in mind, I find it necessary to establish a common definition that will assist in promoting the status of the profession to ensure its dynamic future. Any suggestions?

No comments: